By Lee Perlman
For the Hollywood Star News, July, 2010
The Northeast Broadway Business Association this year calls its annual gala, July 16-18, a “super summer sale.” Most of the activity will be indoors – but there will be lots to go indoors for. To wit:
• bella stella, 2751 N.E. Broadway: 10 to 70 percent off storewide, and baby carrier demonstrations.
• Broadway Books, 1714 N.E. Broadway: Special editions $4, or three for $10, plus 20 percent off all cookbooks and gardening.
• Broadway Floral, 1638 N.E. Broadway: Up to 60 percent off ceramic pots.
• Cotton Cloud Futons, 701 N.E. Broadway: Organic & natural mattresses, and sustainable frames, 15 percent off.
• Dava Bead, 2121 N.E. Broadway: 20 percent off.
• Footwise, 1433 N.E. Broadway: Up to 70 percent off discontinued sandals, shoes, clogs and socks.
• Furever Pets, 1902 N.E. Broadway: Up to 50 percent off selected items.
• Great Wine Buys, 1515 N.E. Broadway: Champaigne and sparkling tasting 5 to 7:30 p.m. Friday (for a fee), and 20 percent off selected wines.
• Hallmark Opticians, 1911 N.E. Broadway: A “SUNsational” sunglass show, with special pricing on sunglasses, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday.
• Helen Bernhard Bakery, 1717 N.E. Broadway: 10 percent off Friday and Saturday, 50 percent off Sunday.
• Here We Go Again, 2438 N.E. Broadway: Up to 30 percent off storewide.
• Home At Last, 1815 N.E. Broadway: 50 to 75 percent off clearance items, and special discounts on custom order furniture.
• I Heart Retro, 1726 N.E. Broadway: 15 percent off everything over $10, plus free lemonade and cookies for shoppers.
• Northwest Women’s Fitness Club, 2714 N.E. Broadway: Sign up for memberships, with no dues until September.
• Oh Baby, 1811 N.E. Broadway: 30-50 percent off lingerie items, with a complimentary bra fitting & consultation.
• Pets on Broadway, 2762 N.E. Broadway: 30 percent off beds and cat posts, among other savings.
• Postal Annex, 1631 N.E. Broadway: 20 percent off all journals.
• Rose & Thistle Pub, 2314 N.E. Broadway: 15 percent off food and drink noon to 7 p.m.
• Sofa Table Chair, 1916 N.E. Broadway: 15 to 75 percent off storewide.
• Soho Boutique, 1605 N.E. Broadway: 20 to 75 percent off.
• Starbucks Coffee, 1510 N.E. Broadway: Yummy free samples and location-only discounts.
• Trade Roots, 1831 N.E. Broadway: All clothing, hats and scarves on sale.
• Twisted, 2310 N.E. Broadway: 10 to 25 percent off sock-knitting related books, patterns, yarn and notions.
• Umqua Bank, 1448 N.E., Weidler St.: Free snow cones from noon to 5 p.m. on Broadway.
Other participants and sponsors include Billy Grippo and Dana & Gary Griggs of Windermere Realty, Broadway Grill & Brewery, Cadillac Café, Golden, Kitchen Kaboodle, Minuteman Press, Sweet Jayne and Timmco Insurance.
While the sales remain inside, there will be some goings-on outside. The Fat Chance Zydeco Band will perform Saturday and Sunday on Northeast Broadway at 19th Avenue. Paris Slim and John Mazzocco will play the blues at Northeast 15th Avenue and Broadway, and guitarist Allan Hager will plays his at 17th, on Saturday, then the two groups will switch intersections on Sunday. There will also be entertainment on Northeast Broadway at 28th Avenue on Saturday, and at the Irvington Farmer’s Market on Sunday.
And remember that all of this is just a little extra whipped cream on the rich cake that is Northeast Broadway every day of the year.