Originally constructed by the Masons as a fellowship hall in 1924, the former Alberta Lodge served as the Masons’ meeting space until 1986. The building was then sold to a Baptist Church congregation that worshipped there until 2007, after which the building sat vacant for five long years. In 2012, Cerimon House, a non-profit humanities organization and magnet for artistic, educational and civic events, purchased the building with the support of the Concordia Neighborhood Association.
With new development spreading throughout Northeast Portland, a contractor might have eyed the building at 5131 N.E. 23rd Ave. as a potential site for skinny snout houses or condominiums.
Demolition would have been the likely outcome.
Instead, Cerimon House has promised to renovate the 92-year-old community space and bring it up to code. They plan to re-open Alberta Lodge as the home of its innovative, nonprofit humanities organization.
A two-year capital campaign successfully raised funds necessary to renovate a historically significant building, and Cerimon House celebrated the opening of its new home with a grand opening gala on October 24.
Cerimon House has worked to keep the original structure and charm of the building intact, while updating the structure with five ADA-compliant restrooms, all new electric and plumbing and a new emergency exit staircase complemented by fresh paint, a repaired roof and ample bike parking.