By Janet Goetze
For the Hollywood Star News
St. Rose of Lima Catholic Church, 5309 N.E. Alameda, has a newly placed altar and tabernacle blessed by Archbishop Alexander Sample.
A series of events led to the special service, starting with the discovery of a once stolen and damaged tabernacle, a receptacle for the Eucharist or materials used for Communion. The tabernacle was discovered in a cupboard during spring cleaning in May 2014.
The Rev. Matthew Libra, after talking to the staff and leadership of the St. Rose Parish and Archbishop Howard School at St. Rose, received permission from Archbishop Sample to use a chapel at the church as a place for a second tabernacle to hold communion elements. Canon law requires that a bishop give permission for the elements to be in a second place at a church.
The newly found tabernacle was restored and placed in the main sanctuary on the altar moved from the chapel. Altar stands were created from part of the altar originally built for the 1926 church.
The stands went into the chapel, called “Blessed Sacrament Chapel,” and the tabernacle that had been in the main sanctuary is now in the chapel.